Reply To: How to link a single Insteon module to an input on the EZIO8 2017-12-21T23:13:48+00:00

HOME Forums Input/Output EZIOxx How to link a single Insteon module to an input on the EZIO8 Reply To: How to link a single Insteon module to an input on the EZIO8

Anonymous

The process of using the Simplehomenet Utility to create a link from an EZIO8SA Input to a responder is as follows:

1. Assign Group number 1 to Input 1. Under the Inputs Setting and Monitor tab, Insteon All_Link Group Commands Settings, select Input 1 in the Input field. Click on “Read”. When Ready is displayed in the lower right corner, set the Group field to 1 and click on “Write”. When Ready is displayed in the lower right corner, click on the yellow “Save Changes” button.
2. Create a “Controller of” link record in the EZIO8SA. Under the Manage Device Links tab, enter the EZIO8SA Insteon address in the Device Insteon ID: field. In the Second Insteon ID: field, enter the Insteon address of the responder device to be turned ON/OFF by the EZIO8SA Input 1 transition. In the Device Link Data: enter 00 00 00. In the Group: field enter 1. Under Mode: select Controller. Click on “Create New Link Record”. Wait for Ready in lower right corner.
3. Create a “Responder to” link record in the responder device. Under the Manage Device Links tab, enter the responder Insteon address in the Device Insteon ID: field. In the Second Insteon ID: field, enter the Insteon address of the EZIO8SA. In the Device Link Data: enter FF 1F 00. In the Group: field enter 1. Under Mode: select Responder. Click on “Create New Link Record”. Wait for Ready in the lower right corner.

I would suggest after writing the link records you use the Display Existing Link Records to display both link records just created to confirm their existence with the expected information.

There is one issue with this process. If you are using one the newer PLMs that supports the 2016 links (larger memory PLM), the SHN Utility will not write the link record in the EZIO8SA PLM in the correct location. This is a known problem that SHN is working on. The way to tell if you have a newer PLM is to create a link using the Set button technique described in the earlier post. Then use the SHN Utility to “Display Existing Link Records” in the EZIO8SA. If you can see the link record established by the Set button, the EZIO8SA PLM has the smaller memory and the SHN Utility will work correctly. If you do not see the link record created by the Set button, you cannot use the existing Utility to write link records in the EZIO8SA PLM. Then you must use the Set button technique to establish links. I’ve created many links using the Set button. If you have a kitchen digital cooking timer stuck to the refrigerator use it to time the Set button presses. About the only time I have had a problem with the Set button process is when I held the Set button too long or too short. The Set button hold time is not so critical that a timer is necessary but it does help prevent mistakes.