A couple of items I have been able to figure out:
I am able to reproduce the errors you are seeing using houselinc. If I just install houselinc (which includes an SDM) and then install the utility, I can run the utility if houselinc is in the background. This is awkward, but it works. If I install another SDM on top of this, and the run the utility by itself, it does not always work.
In regards to the issue with programming and incorrect read values, I do not understand what is happening, there is something unique to your setup / module. I would ask you either call the toll free support number or give me an email directly:
We will be able to provide you more targeted support and help you resolve the issue ASAP. You are right, it shouldn’t be this hard.